ond Alison Kreviazuk is leaving

lw789

ond Alison Kreviazuk is leaving

Postautor: lw789 » 06 gru 2018, 06:27

Rachel Homans champion curling rink will have a different look next season. Longtime second Alison Kreviazuk is leaving the Homan team next month after deciding to move to Sweden to be with her boyfriend. Joanne Courtney of Val Sweetings rink will join Homan, lead Lisa Weagle and third Emma Miskew next season. Kreviazuk will close out her 13-year run with Homan at the April 15-20 season-ending Grand Slam Players Championships in Summerside, P.E.I. "Its been something that Ive been considering for a while," Kreviazuk said Tuesday in an interview from Ottawa. "But I gave my team the heads up a couple months ago and just gave them the idea that this was something I was thinking of, so they may want to consider their options. "Theyve made an extremely great choice with Joanne. I think shes going to be a perfect fit for the team." The announcement was made two days after the Homan rink won silver at the world championship in Saint John, N.B. The Canadian side dropped a 9-5 decision to Switzerlands Binia Feltscher in the gold-medal game at Harbour Station. "It definitely didnt affect our performance," Homan said. "If anything, we wanted it that much more." The Ottawa-based team won the Scotties Tournament of Hearts for the first time last year and went on to win bronze at the 2013 world championship in Riga, Latvia. Kreviazuk has spent the last decade curling with Homan and Miskew while Weagle joined the team four years ago. "Ali is an amazing curler and such a wonderful person, shes difficult to replace," Weagle said. "But I think in Joanne weve found someone who is a phenomenal curler and in my opinion, the best womens sweeper in the world. I think that she will be a good fit for our team. "It will be different but were excited about what the next four years have in store for Team Homan." Kreviazuks peers voted her the winner of the Frances Brodie Award for sportsmanship at last weeks world championship. The 25-year-old also won silver at the 2010 world junior championship as the teams alternate. "I think our progress is what was so tremendous," Kreviazuk said. "Every year we kept improving. Each year there (were) new opportunities. It was such a pleasure to play with (them). "Every year there was something to celebrate." Kreviazuk, who worked at a car dealership for two years before becoming a full-time curler this season, has yet to make a decision about her curling future. Her boyfriend, Fredrik Lindberg, plays second for Swedish skip Niklas Edin. Sweden won Olympic bronze at the Sochi Games last month and took the world title last year in Victoria. "Obviously were sad that shes leaving but Im really happy that shes made a decision that makes her happy," Homan said. Courtneys rink finished second to Homan at the national championships last month in Montreal. The 25-year-old from Edmonton plans to live in Ottawa during the curling season. "We feel Joanne is a great fit with our team and someone who shares our team goals and passion for the game," Homan said. "It will be a big change but we are excited that she has decided to join us for the next Olympic cycle." Sweetings team reacted to the news on Twitter. "Surprised and unfortunate to see her go but we wish Joanne the best of luck with (at)TeamHoman .curling," the team said in a tweet. Courtney has also represented Alberta at two Canadian Interuniversity Sport national championships. "I was honoured to be asked to join Team Homan," she said in a statement. "I have played against them on numerous occasions so I know what kind of talent they bring to the table. I know I have big shoes to fill in replacing Alison and I cant wait to get on the ice with them to start preparing for next season. "I had a wonderful run with Val, Dana Ferguson and Rachelle Pidherny and I cant thank them enough for our seasons together." Courtney spent the last three seasons with the Sweeting rink, which is ranked 10th on the World Curling Tours order of merit. The skip was surprised when Courtney broke the news to her over the phone Monday night. "I didnt see it coming, especially based on conversations that had taken place within the team after the Scotties," Sweeting said from Vegreville, Alta. "I dont know when the offer came to her but it is what it is. When opportunities like that come around in curling, you have to take them. We understand, it happens. "Its unfortunate for us in this particular moment but all we can do is look forward and keep building." Sweeting added her team will take some time before deciding on a replacement. Authentic Gorgui Dieng Jersey . Joining him in this years class were Switzerlands Patrick Huerlimann and Norways Eigil Ramsfjell. The announcement was made at the world mens curling championship at Capital Indoor Stadium in China. Discount Timberwolves Jerseys .Currently no, Tatjana Haenni, FIFAs deputy director of the competitions division and head of womens competitions, said Tuesday in an interview from Ottawa. http://www.cheaptimberwolvesjerseysauthentic.com/.3 seconds remaining, and No. 7 North Carolina held off a resilient No. 25 Virginia team, 54-51, on Saturday. John Henson contributed a double-double with 15 points to go with 11 rebounds for the Tar Heels (25-4, 12-2 ACC), who have won five straight and 10 of 11. Authentic Derrick Rose Jersey . -- Arizona coach Bruce Arians says there "were obviously very, very many problems" with the officiating in the Cardinals 24-21 loss at Philadelphia. Cheap Timberwolves Jerseys .com) - NFL owners have unanimously approved the sale of the Buffalo Bills.TORONTO - The CBC has suffered several major blows in recent months — significant job cuts, the loss of hockey broadcast rights and the recent dramatic departure of one of its most prominent personalities.On Tuesday, the public broadcaster delivered an increasingly rare good-news story. And it turned to a top-flight sports showcase that it knows how to do very well.The CBC and Radio-Canada renewed their commitment to Olympic coverage by securing the broadcast rights to the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea and 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo. The network will partner with Bell Media and Rogers Media to deliver the Games.I think it shows the belief that the Olympic committee has in us continuing to deliver compelling Olympic moments to Canadians, said CBC president Hubert Lacroix.Executives from all three media companies agreed the demands of todays Olympic broadcasting culture make it very challenging — from both a financial and manpower perspective — to go it alone with an event of this magnitude. In addition, consumers now want access to all events in real time on a broadcasting format that works for them. Jeffrey Orridge, executive director of sports properties and general manager of the Olympics at CBC, said a team effort will help facilitate that.We are collaborating on the production, he said. We are going to share airwaves, were going to share technical resources, were going to share our expertise and were going to share talent.Specific coverage details havent been finalized but given its strong reach, expect the CBC to broadcast the top-tier events. TSN/RDS would get the next level down, followed by Sportsnet, then TSN2, and then Sportsnet One, Orridge said.What were going to basically offer is a 24-hour Olympic network, said Bell Medias Phil King, president of CTV sports and entertainment programming. If you have CBC, TSN and Sportsnet, you will have a 24-hour Olympic network.Financial terms of the deal werent revealed. Orridge said the agreement was respectful of the stature of the Games and certainly fiscally responsible on the part of the public broadcaster. I cant give you specifics on terms of the agreement, he said. But suffice it to say that weve put together an extraordinarily viable business model that will be either a break-even or revenue-positive model.The CBC, which had the broadcast rights for the recent Sochi Olympics and has been a longtime rights-holder, was already tabbed to show the 2016 Summer Games in Rio.Its a nation-building and nation-sharing event and that brings communities together, Orridge said. Part of our ethos is about being a catalyst and an inspiration for our communities and cultivating and promoting and highlighting and showcasing Canadian talent.And thats what we do.The broadcaster reclaimed the rights to the 2014 Games after losing the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics and the 2012 London Games to CTV. The three broadcasters worked together at the Sochi Games, although this deal is more extensive for the specialty networks.ddddddddddddLongtime sports broadcasting executive Keith Pelley, now president of Rogers Media, helped build the broadcast consortium model that was used in Vancouver.There is no question that you need multiple broadcasters and multiple outlets to be able to give Canadians what they want from the Olympic Games, Pelley said. There are so many events going on at the same time that one individual broadcaster — regardless of the multi-platforms — can no longer serve the public the way that they need to to actually experience the Games and thats why this partnership came to fruition.Pelley added Rogers has worked closely with the CBC on several initiatives, including the current NHL deal.This is an extension of that, the partnership is just a little bit reversed, he said. They will control the editorial content and the sales and we will be there to support them in every way that they possibly can and give them the airtime to give Canadians unprecedented choice.Orridge said talks with Rogers and Bell began months ago, and were easy to kickstart given the success of the Sochi experience.The news comes at a tumultuous time for CBC, which is being sued by star radio personality Jian Ghomeshi, who alleges breach of confidence, bad faith and defamation by the public broadcaster in a $55-million lawsuit.The network severed ties with Ghomeshi over the weekend because of information it had received about the Q radio show host. Ghomeshi said he has been fired for his sexual behaviour.Last November, the broadcaster lost NHL rights to Rogers Media in a whopping $5.2-billion deal. That led to a dramatic loss of advertising revenue for a network already struggling with federal budget cuts.In April, Lacroix announced that 657 jobs would be slashed to meet a $130-million budget shortfall. Lacroix said at the time 42 per cent of the sports department would be laid off, trimming 38 sports jobs from 90 current positions. In June, he said there would be an additional 1,000 to 1,500 positions cut by 2020.He also announced in April the broadcaster would no longer compete for professional sports rights and would cover fewer sports events, including amateur athletics.But the Olympics are still a product they want to be associated with, Lacroix said.Its a way for us to connect and to tell stories to Canadians from all across the country, he said. This ability to do this in a context with partners allows us to bring the best Olympic experience to Canadians, bar none.Lacroix added the partnership with Rogers and Bell will mean more comprehensive coverage for Canadians.Its a textbook example of us being able to bring the whole broadcasting community to the service of Canadians, he said. If it had not been for open-mindedness and eagerness and interest of our friends at Bell and Rogers, Canadians would not be getting the kind of coverage that they will be in 18 and 20.———Follow @GregoryStrongCP on Twitter. cheap falcons jerseys cheap ravens jerseys cheap bills jerseys cheap bears jerseys cheap bengals jerseys cheap cowboys jerseys cheap lions jerseys cheap texans jerseys cheap colts jerseys cheap jaguars jerseys cheap chiefs jerseys cheap rams jerseys cheap dolphins jerseys cheap vikings jerseys cheap saints jerseys cheap giants jerseys cheap jets jerseys cheap eagles jerseys cheap steelers jerseys cheap 49ers jerseys ' ' '